Welcome to Pat's Place

Thanks for stopping by Pat's Place. I hope you enjoy my blog.

As a writer, I will be blogging about many things that interest me. My posts will be about what I am writing and other things I'm doing. Enjoy!


Saturday, November 22, 2008

African American Presidents

I found this interesting post on Geneanet Genealogy Blog, posted by Jean-Yves Baxter.
Five presidents have black ancestors. Thomas Jefferson, Andrew Jackson, Abraham Lincoln, Warren Harding, Calvin Coolidge.
Jefferson was the son of 1/2 Indian mother and a mulatto father. Jackson's father was black, his mother was Irish. His brother was sold as a slave. Lincoln was reportedly the illegitimate son of an African man. His mother came from an Ethiopian tribe. Harding never denied his ancestry having black ancestors on both sides. Coolidge was proud of his heritage saying his mother had mixed Indian blood.
Although the author of this blog gave references to proof his/her point, much of this is up for debate. I just reviewed a book about Jefferson and nothing was said about his mixed ancestry. Not much was written about his life before he began college.

Interesting that these men ran for president as white while Barak Obama ran as black even though he is 1/2 white.

On another note: I talked with a financial advisor yesterday and he commented this ecomony crisis is much worse than '29. I guess I knew that but to hear someone in the know say what I was thinking is scary.

1 comment:

Shirley said...

Hadn't thought about that, but it's a good point. Maybe it's because Obama looks more black than white. Of course, it does boggle my mind why we should even care about color. Obama wasn't my candidate choice, but I'm really hoping he knows his stuff, cause we're in a mess!!!